Friday 5 March 2010

Birthday painting


This is a picture I made for a dear friend's birthday. I saw the idea in SImply Handmade (the US version) and decided to adapt it using SU supplies. It started with a blank canvas - a bargain one at that from the 99p shop - and I drew a rough heart shape using pencil.
The article talked about using watercolours to create the picture but I don't have watercolours so I improvised and used my re-inkers! I used an aquapainter with Tempting Turquiose for the background. I then used some plain paint to fill in the heart to prevent the ink from spreading into the heart shape. Over the painted heart I used Pixie Pink to create a soft pink background and then slapped on LOTS of Pink Passion over the top to create a more striking pink colour. While the pink was still wet I sprinkled Rose Pink glitter from the Fine Cosmo glitter set on the heart.
Once the paint was all dry I used Black Staz On ink to stamp the poem (copied from the article, the words are not my own!). The 'listen' word was written with a SU black marker on Whisper White CS and then cut out and stuck on with Tombow.
The small circles are cut free-hand from white felt and stuck with Tombow and add a little more texture to the picture. I hope my friend likes it. I'll find out tonight as we're going out to celebrate her birthday at Pizza Express!!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving comments - reading them really does make my day!